Friday, March 20, 2009

We're the most interesting what?


In 1985, I was at some meeting or another in Tucson, Arizona. A large group of guys went out to dinner in a well known eatery. I would guess, although the memory is not always correct, there must have been 8 to 12 men present.

We were an anomaly. Here were a dozen guys, all in there 40’s and 50’s, all East Coast US guys from Art Schools and Universities, all gray or graying, tweedy with button down shirts and ties, looking, as I remember, pretty normal if we were in Boston. But there was the rub, we were in Tucson!

After dinner, we were working our way out of a crowded restaurant, full of guys with bolo ties and women looking like Dolly Parton, snaking through the tables, when I walked by Jon Voight and JoBeth Williams having dinner. Jon Voight was wearing a silver lame jumpsuit kind of thing and JoBeth Williams, in her prime, was beautiful. (They were out there to shoot “Desert Bloom”, a 1986 release film.)

I quickly looked over at them, knew who they were, and figured they were shooting something somewhere and was continuing on when Jon Voight stopped me and said, “Excuse me, who are you, all of you? You’re the most interesting looking group of people we’ve seen out here!”

1 comment: