Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Thought About Making Things


I spoke with my son a while back, and we discussed the idea that we need to make something once in a while. In this world where we deal with information processing, and not much with things, we need to stop and make something or at least fix something or just do something with our hands (no weird stuff here please).

I joked recently about my three sons, two of who were in construction (at one time as young men) and one who stayed close to Jewish roots and had a guy on retainer. But I thought about it, and realized that his making of music is the same kind of thing. It’s a primary urge or tool or act that we all need to do.

Not making anything would be a crime. The making of art or music or the fixing of a banister ranks up there with other primary drives. The act of construction seems to be a requirement. I was going to see this as a male thing, but the more I think about it, it is gender neutral.

As I age and get wiser (?) I get these ideas, and I had no appreciative audience on whom to foist such thoughts.

In my position I don’t have much access to media, so I get to make pronouncements here. No one here much cares or argues, so you all become the benefactors (or victims) of my rambling. Thanks for being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment