Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We lose something everytime we gain something


I was in Henry’s Photo this afternoon, picking up slide projector bulbs. Of course, I know I am among the very few who would be buying such old technology today. We use them at school because some of our people have slides to show. This is a dying art, and I am informed that sooner or later the bulbs will become extinct.

We began to talk about people turning in very expensive cameras to me as a gift; we no longer give tax receipts for old cameras, as we really don’t use them very often. We run just one or two black and white photo classes a year, and all the others are digital. No one wants an old enlarger, and those should go into the dumpster.

As I reminisced with the guy in Henry’s, there came to mind my mother, a major influence in my life, and her holding on to the technology of the past, the things we’re used to.

Somewhere in the late 50’s or early 60’s, my mother’s office forced her to relinquish her manual typewriter for an electric, which she hated. She was able to purchase two of the remaining Underwood typewriters for $35 each (I think). She gave one to me (long since disposed of) and kept the other one for herself. She had held on to hers at the office long past the time of every other ones disposal and she finally had to give it up.

I guess, as my wife complains that we are unable put a receiver on our shoulder and talk on the phone, that we lose something every time we gain something.

No comments:

Post a Comment