Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Autistic Child


We received a call at school asking the office if anyone could talk to the woman on the phone about registering her autistic child in our children’s art classes. The phone call was of course given to me to answer, and I called the woman back, hoping I could help her with her problem.

We have always tried to handle special situations with a degree of understanding, and have met the needs of many special needs children over the years.

I told the woman who I was, and asked her what I could do to work with her in solving whatever problem she was having.

She explained that she didn’t really have a problem; she just needed guidance in determining in what class she should enroll her child.

I asked her if they had an aide appointed to work with the child, or if we needed to try and find a volunteer to handle her daughter’s needs. She told me no, they didn’t have anyone special, and didn’t see the need for one. I asked how the problems manifested themselves in her daughter’s case and she wondered what I was talking about.

I said there must be some problems related directly to her autistic child, and she told me she had told the office she had an artistic child, not autistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment