Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Out of the Closet


We’ve had a number of cleaning people over the years since I’ve been at DVSA, and most of them have had some sort of bizarre experience. We have no ghosts as far as I know, and in an 1836 factory building, one could expect weird phenomena, but so fa,r none have surfaced.

About eight years ago we went through a great cleaning out, an end to many years worth of junk, and redid lots of things. We replaced tables, chairs and refinished floors (we need to do it all again). We replaced windows etc., because of a large grant we received to do these things.

Our cleaner at the time was working on an old cupboard in Studio One, which had housed mainly cans of wall paint, with a large shelf on the top. As she worked her way to the top, she discovered a body, and she screamed! She refused to go any further, and I was called to the rescue.

I had no idea what it was, but sure enough, on the back of the closet shelf, wrapped in plastic sheeting, was something, formerly alive! There were visible bones and hair.

I carefully (I was freaked!) took the package down, thinking quickly how I would deal with this if it were human, and I removed the carcass of a large dog, decayed, with hair still on it. I quickly moved from the closet, out of the back door and went to the dumpster.

No one knew how long this package was there, and no one ever (we sent out a memo to all) could explain where it came from or why it was there. It was not, as far as anyone knew, part of a still life, although I am sure that was the original intension. There was no odor anymore involved with this so it could have been there for years.

Our cleaner left shortly after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment