Monday, November 23, 2009

A Very Strange Guy...



A very strange guy with bad teeth, a bad eye (I think) dressed in workmen’s kind of garb came up to me at lunch today as we both waited for sandwiches.

The place was full of high school kids eating lunch and there was a bit of a wait to get your food. He knowingly sidled up to me and said, “I remember when I went to school we didn’t get to go out to eat ever!” I smiled (unfortunately) and nodded, just to try and not avoid him but to not get into this one.
My mother”, he said, “would never let me out of the house without a proper sandwich for lunch”, “there were no cafeterias or restaurants for me!”

“Well”, I said, “my kids go to a high school where you can’t go out to eat without a car so they ate in the cafeteria”. This is true and gave him enough to assume I was on his side, although I didn’t really care.

He then went into the fact that the schools had finally taken the junk off of the menu and the kids won’t be able to get it anymore. I agreed, but said that it would make more kids eat out.

He had a quizzical look, but acknowledged my thought, and thank God my lunch came.

No comments:

Post a Comment