Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grapefruit Juice and Burning Elements

Some things taste great, and I realized that we sometimes taste them before they enter our mouths! It’s the mouth watering pizza, or chocolate cake fresh from the oven or hot popcorn at the movies, and we can almost taste them without tasting them.

In the early 60’s, we were living with my in-laws, waiting for me to finish school so we could move into our own place. In the mean time, we had a good place to live with a subterranean (basement) living room for ourselves. This was a temporary situation, and there were some wonderful aspects, at least in hind sight.

I came down stairs early one morning and looked into the fridge, on kind of a fact finding mission, just seeing what there was to offer. (I still do this). They had a pitcher of water in the fridge, and I surreptitiously took a swig! This is not what you do in a house full of people who have to share, but I was an only child anyway, and until this writing, who would ever know? I took the pitcher and put it to my lips so the wonderful cool water would rush down my parched throat.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

The pitcher contained unsweetened grapefruit juice! This may not be such a bad thing, it was just when you expect the cooling taste of water you don’t want the sour taste of grapefruit juice!

On another note, they had a electric stove. I had grown up with a gas stove and had basically never used such a contraption, not that I used it much anyway as my mother-in-law mostly cooked and sometimes my wife. However, not knowing or understanding this modern device, I was cleaning up after breakfast one day (I know this may have been a rare event) and as I was over the stove, I brushed off the burner with my hand.

Little did I know that a hot burner stays hot for a long time, and it took months for the burner pattern to disappear from my palm!

No comments:

Post a Comment