Friday, November 27, 2009

Lining Up




I know it’s stereotyping but Canadians are polite. They are way more polite than most folks anywhere. Saying that, they also have a different sense of personal space than I do, and I’ve never gotten used to it. There is a problem with waiting in lines.

I come from an ethnic family that would have been a little over the top for most Canadians. We were too close. I lived for twelve years in and around Detroit and got used to a mid eastern bunch who shared the bank debit booth with you, even if you didn’t invite them. People from ethnic groups, as well, I guess, people from the eastern US move forward in lines way more than Canadians ever would think of. Canadians would not handle the pressure of a normal line in McDonalds if it was one in the eastern US.

I was in line at the post office on Thursday morning. It was at about 8:30 a.m. and I was second in line.

The man in front of me was wearing a long raincoat in a sort of dark gray color, belted, with dark double knit slacks and sensible shoes in black. He had short, gray hair and wore a woven wool cap with a bill, a sort of sporty (by 1955 standards) cap. He looked earnest.

I was assuming at first that he was older, but as I looked a bit harder, I realized he might have been younger than me.

My main concern was the distance, by eye, between him and the pole that said “wait here”. There was about eight feet! Two people came in behind me eventually and they were just pushed to the front door. He would not move until the man at the counter asked him to move forward.

All three of us moved forward. I moved to the pole and the others followed me. Now there was room for other patrons. This also happens at the bank all the time. People hold back in line, and even if they’re waiting for a debit machine, they wait far back so as not to appear nosy looking at someone else’s bank business.

What would they see?

This get worse in McDonalds or Wendy’s when they lay back and crowd up so as not to crowd your burger orders!!

Give it up! Get with the program! You're driving me nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment