Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lost in Calgary

In the early years we lived in Calgary we had gone out to dinner one evening with my in-laws. They were frequent visitors and we often went around the town looking for new places to go.

It was very cold, and we found the restaurant but there was no nearby parking. We drove around for a while in a new area of town for us, until we found a parking spot.

We walked the freezing blocks to the restaurant and had a lovely dinner. We drank and ate and had an enjoyable time.

My father in law happily came with me as we strolled back to the car.

I had never been in this neighborhood before that evening. My father in law has no sense of direction and I guess, neither do I. It was below way zero and basically we had no idea where we were going.

At some point I fell and banged my knee on the ice covered street. My father in law had on a sport coat and a raincoat and I was worried he would freeze before we found the car.

All in all it was an unforgettable night.

We found the car in about an hour and drove to the restaurant where we found my wife and my mother in law having negotiated a ride home with the restaurant owner.

Needless to say, they assumed we were dead or we were idiots.

They were correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment