Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Truck Drivin' Man


I guess I finally hit a home run, even if I didn’t know I was at bat!

I will admit to being scruffy. This is a long cherished look, derived from business Bohemian, a look I’d acquired some years ago when I got a respectable job requiring a tie and a coat most of the time. In those jobs where I was CEO of a post secondary institution, it was appropriate to dress casual but academic with an art school flair if possible. I guess I dressed up once in a while but usually my tie was skewed, but usually there.

Since moving to Ontario, I think I’ve gone downhill and moved toward artsy, scruffy etc. As I’ve gotten older, it seems to work OK for me. The Dress for Success people said that Deans could look casual, academic, and it was fine for the 11 or 12 year I was a Dean. Now, it’s pretty downplayed.

Today (my home run day) I had to go to Guelph to pick up 32 cases of beer from one of our sponsors, for our auction. Ed Young went with me to lend a helping hand. We came to the shipping dock and I backed uphill into the last space, the one reserved for pickups by locals, all the rest are loading docks for the big rigs picking up and delivering from Sleeman/Sapporo. However, everyone walks through the same door to give and get paperwork and beer.

I walked in with Ed, but it was lunchtime and there would be no forklift drivers for another 20 minutes. The warehouse man asked me if I had a rig to unload. I was stunned! He had mistaken me for a truck driver!

I had hit the homerun! My disguise had finally worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment