Sunday, April 5, 2009

Recarpeting the Library


I remember recarpeting the library. Our librarian in Detroit had asked for new carpeting for a while, because it had really worn out. It was stained and worn through. The money was, of course, the issue. After months of discussion, I agreed to have it done. The total cost in those days, the early 80’s, was about $4,000. This was a lot of money for us and I had to use all my political clout with our Board to get this done.

The big problem turned out to be moving all the books in the library, in order, so that we could move them back in without having to re-order them.

This job took a team of 6 to 8 moving men two days to box and moves the books out.

The carpet people came in put in the carpet, and left.

The moving team returned, and spent another two days putting the books back.

In the final analysis, the cheapest part of recarpeting the library was the carpet.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed several books out of order when I went up after the recarpeting. I did my duty and put them back where they should be. Ironies of administration.

    ReplyDelete