Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm just a kid again and the return of Paul Ferguson


It was a good day. However, it didn’t start out that way.

Remember Paul Ferguson, our Treasurer (“Channeling the Spirit of my Late Mother”), some days ago, well Paul was back yesterday. He offered to introduce me to his barber.

Paul is challenged tonsorially. He is the last guy to need a barber but although he was right I was resisting. However, today I decided to go the route and see my own barber to get a haircut.

I say this like I have a special barber I go to but it’s a chain called First Cuts. It’s close and cheap and when you have good hair they can’t do too much to screw it up and sometimes it’s real good.

The important points of this story are not really the haircut or the barber, but it was what happened afterward.

I went to pay and asked for a senior’s discount. The barber, a really nice young woman said, “I’m sorry sir but you have to be over 65 for the discount!”

It really didn’t matter what happened next. I was stunned and in love and elated! My day was getting great! (I did get the discount of course, but after I offered to show her my license she capitulated.)

Next, feeling so good I went over to the Bulk Barn to get a treat for me and the office. I had a $5 gift card and decided to get some candy. I took it up to the counter. A very nice older woman took the candy and rang up the register. I get a senior’s discount, I said.

She said, “I’m sorry sir but you have to be over 65 for the discount!”

I fell in love again, this being two times in twenty minutes.

I walked on a cloud the rest of the day.

I grew no younger of course in this process, but my self esteem grew exponentially by this experience.

I was young and in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment