Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Girls can't read Fahrenheit.



Rosie called from Boston two days ago and asked me how much is 62 degrees. I said, “About 16”. (It’s actually 16.66) She was happy and knew what the temperature was.

The truth is clear; my kids have a strange education. They can’t do Fahrenheit or inches or miles or pounds. Actually, because Canada has a love/hate relationship with the US, pounds are still used, but so is the metric system. Everything fresh you buy in a grocery store is shown in both pounds and kilograms. Cheese is sold in 100g amounts and in pounds. Much like lumber lengths and widths (2”x 4” etc.), food remains unmoved.

I have been asked to visually demonstrate an item size when we say it’s about 9" or so or we talk about and old 45rpm record, and the question always come up allowing us to demonstrate. Another favorite (favourite in Canada) is about a foot long and I have to demonstrate with my hands.

In the end I guess size matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment