Friday, April 17, 2009

Sunshine came softly, through my window today...


In 1969 I was driving up Reisterstown Road in Baltimore, approaching the light at Old Court Road.

I was 27 years old, lookin’ pretty good and at the wheel of my new VW bus. This was a big status symbol in ’69 for the artsy folks. I was wearing flared, faded jeans and a great big collared shirt and I can probably, in my head, still hear Donovan playing loudly on the radio.

Anyway, I was toolin’ up the road, going to get some missing things for my son Brian’s birthday party (he would have been three).

Two girls pulled up next to me and shouted, “What a great car!” I smiled and laughed along with them. They were beautiful, sun drenched ladies, blond, probably in their late teens. The closest one leaned out of the window and said, “Want to come with us?” They had California plates on their car.

I quickly considered my options. I had two plus one on the way children, my car payments, my mortgage, my job and my responsibilities and waved at them, smiled and said “Thanks”, and the light changed.

I thought about making a decision (sort of) on the spur of the moment.

I am still thinking about it……….

No comments:

Post a Comment