Sunday, April 26, 2009

Just standing there with nothing to say...






As young men in art school, we were always influenced by the popular art stars of the day. The most powerful movement for us was the Bay Area figurative school of the 50’s and 60’s. This included such artists as David Park, Elmer Bischoff, Richard Diebenkorn, Nathan Olivera and Paul Wonner . These were the guys we scanned the art magazines to see. I’m not sure if we ever really saw anything but magazine photos before we graduated.

We also had Warhol, Johns, Rauschenberg etc. to give us heroes to admire, but we seemed to have a place in our hearts for the Bay Area guys.

For me, it was Richard Diebenkorn whom I most admired. I love his work and have seen it in person many times, not just the art books and magazines.

And there I was, at some art association dinner, and there was to be an award given to Richard Diebenkorn. “My heart be still!” I was excited. Finally I would get to see this childhood hero. I must have been in my 40’s, so I didn’t wear a t-shirt with a “love ya’ Richard” splashed over the front, but I was elated.

After the food and awards, I went to the men’s room and used the urinal. There, standing next to me, was my hero, Richard Diebenkorn. I was frozen, I wanted to say something meaningful, but here we were, side by side by the urinals. This is not a possible situation. Men’s room etiquette is quite specific; you do not talk to the stranger next to you!

I thought about my possible opening lines:

I’ve always admired you

I love your work

You meant a great deal to me

You mean a great deal to me

I enjoy looking at your……

I said nothing. Richard Diebenkorn zipped up his fly, washed his hands (thank God, I couldn’t have handled it if he hadn’t) and strolled out into the night. He has since passed away and I never will get to say anything to him.

But I still think about the possibilities:

You do meaningful work.

You always make me want to see more……….

No comments:

Post a Comment