Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dave Campbell and the Ladies Room



If you know about CCS in Detroit, and you know the building as it used to be (changes have occurred which may make this story no longer possible), there were floors where there was either a men’s or a ladies room, but not both.

In the dimly lit past, probably around 1984, I was the Academic Dean and Dave Campbell was the Dean of Students. Dave’s office was on the floor below mine, and I had come downstairs to talk with him. This was the summer, so there were not a lot of people around.

At some point, I just had to go to the bathroom, and the closest one was the ladies room down the hall from Dave’s office. However, as Dean, I felt somewhat concerned about using the ladies room as it wouldn’t look good for me if I got caught.

“Don’t worry”, said Dave, I’ll stand out here and make sure you won’t be disturbed”. I felt relief, as I had to go very badly and I would never make it up or down to another bathroom in time.

I got in and went to a stall and pee’d forever! Standing next to the bowl and peeing in, I made lots of noise. A good thing, I believe, because the door opened and there was a silence.

“Hello”, I yelled, and a girl’s voice said, hello”.

“I’m sorry, I said, to the female sculpture student who had been working downstairs ,where there was no ladies room, “I’ll be right out”!

“OK”, she said and went out.

I adjusted my clothing and walked out and went to Dave’s office.

“You didn’t really think I was going to stand out there all morning”, he said.

1 comment:

  1. Great CCS story--brings back those fluid memories of yore. If the restroom/floor situation is the same, it may be altered on the basis of this story.

    ReplyDelete