Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The TV Set


These are not the same 60's RCA metal cabinet 21" TV sets but they come close.

In the early 60’s I was working at the Hecht Company in Baltimore, one of the May Company stores. I was just beginning a teaching career, and continued to work there through college and beyond to earn extra money. I worked in the record department most of the time I was there, and worked next door to the major appliances and electronics and worked with those guys when they needed help.

While I was out one day, during a TV sale, an older couple came in and wanted a “French Provincial” model TV console that we had on special. These were white and gold colored and really in pretty bad taste when I think about, but at the time it was high end decorating in my area. These people lived in a huge new apartment building, a very expensive residence for sure, and we had a trade-in sale going on at the time. We offered $1 a screen inch as a trade in for your old TV on a new model.

They had a 21” table model RCA TV to trade and told my friend Len it was almost new, but they wanted the French provincial look in their new apartment. He offered them the deal and they took it. He asked them if they would be willing to let me have it for the $21 as I was a young father and this would be great for us. They were happy to oblige, and I went to the fancy apartment house and retrieved the 21” RCA, metal cabinet TV. It must have weighed a ton as I remember, and there was a cart in the place I used to transport it to my house.


I probably wouldn’t have remembered much of this story but as people remember where they were when major events happen, I remember watching the Kennedy assignation films and the actual Lee Harvey Oswald assassination the next day on that same TV set.

No comments:

Post a Comment