Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RAVIOLI WITH ARUGULA, TOMATOES AND PANCETTA

This was a really great dinner last night. I will admit that the recipe itself was adapted from Giada De Laurentiis. It was so good, although I made some changes. It was so full of flavor, and a good thing to eat while we watched “Biggest Loser”. On Tuesday nights, as usual, I get to cook, after my wife and daughter come home from yoga. It’s my chance to shine in the cooking department.

I highly recommend this dinner!

RAVIOLI WITH ARUGULA, TOMATOES AND PANCETTA

Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients

• 1 pound frozen cheese ravioli

• ¼ pound (200 grams) pancetta, diced into little cubes (I purchased this at an Italian market and had it fresh cut, which allowed me to choose mild or spicy. I chose spicy and it was great!)

• 1 (15-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes (she drains them, I use the liquid for a much saucier dish)

• 3 tablespoons olive oil

• 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning

• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning

• 3 cups arugula

• 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, divided

• 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until tender. Drain.

In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add the pancetta and cook stirring frequently, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain. Add the tomatoes, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 2 minutes until tender, roughly chopping up the tomatoes in the pan as it cooks. Add the arugula and 1/4 cup basil and cook until wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir in the butter and melt.

Add the ravioli and cooked pancetta and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Transfer the ravioli to a large serving bowl.

Garnish with the remaining basil and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment