Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back Away From the Drink....


I was always getting into the paper with some kind of PR shot, or awards ceremony and didn’t think much of it, but being a normal human being, I always sent those photos to my mother. She was proud of her son and as long as they weren’t police head shots, they were good for her!


One day she complained to me that even if I didn’t realize it, every time I was in one of those shots, I had a drink in my hand! I had never thought about it, but reporters and photographers appear at events where one is often drinking and therefore, I usually had a drink in my hand.

This is exemplified by this photo from 1985 or so (I'm a whole lot thinner and younger!), at some function at CCS in Detroit (I can tell by the walls). I am standing with Jerry from Penn State having a glass of wine and talking about something. I don’t remember if it was ever published or not, but because I have a large copy of it, I think it was. If not, it’s published here on my blog!

I will admit to feeling bad about not remembering Jerry’s last name, but I’m pretty sure I have the right institution. As well, he was the first husband of one of our faculty members who will remain anonymous at this point. Any CCS people can email me separately if they’re interested, but I’m not exactly blowing anyone’s cover.

By the way, after my mothers comment, I try to always put down the drink if a photographer comes by. The reason I bring this up was that yesterday, while surfing the net, I was looking for anything about my oldest son and there it was, a photo on some company newsletter, with a group of people smiling and happy, and my son was there holding a drink in his hand!

Now I am not with MADD or anything, but I immediately wrote to him and warned him about my mothers warning! It doesn’t look nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment