Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"He's cheating on you" my neighbor said......


Funny thing is, when you hide something, and you forget it’s hidden, the sudden finding is a big surprise, even to you!


My wife and I were discussing the fact that our 25th wedding anniversary would be coming up in 2012, and she was wondering if I would like to go to Chicago with her for the event, as it was where we spent a brief weekend honeymoon. I thought it was a great idea and concluded we didn’t need the kids going as well, as it would be nice to just go ourselves, and the kids would be just as happy not to go.

I told her that we soon would be wed longer than I was married to my first wife. Once we passed 24 years we would be ahead. She asked me, if I had stayed married, how long it would be. I said that in 2012, we would have been married for 50 years!

She asked me what date our wedding anniversary would have been, and I smiled and said May 1. There was a pause, “I didn’t mean our anniversary, I meant your first one”. “I know”, I said,” That’s what I meant.”

So here was the problem. The easiest date for me to remember for an anniversary was May 1, since I already had that one committed. So, 24 years ago when planning a wedding date, I helped to choose May Day, a wonderful date. I simply failed to mention it was my first marriages anniversary. It was not a lie, it was a side step. A simple action allowing me not to have to remember another date or phone number or address! OK, I never expected to get caught! Also, I never assumed I’d have to tell.

My neighbor down the road, and my wife’s dear friend says, “He’s cheating on you!” I think this is a bit of overreaction.

It’s never gotten in the way and I’ve never forgotten the date!

No comments:

Post a Comment