Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Snow Storm


This is a big story, and I just read through 190 of mine to see if I told this tale before, and I can’t find it. It was a life changing experience for me and a great adventure and memory.

It was the winter of 1959 (I think) and I was set to go out with my friends Alan and Edgar (the one we rescued from the hospital in an earlier story) with dates, to do something. Edgar was in a cast and was less than moveable.

Alan was going out with Michael (this was the 50’s and Michael was a girl!) and I was going out with my girlfriend Toby. Edgar had a date with maybe Anita, but we did end up at her house, or maybe Edgar didn’t have a date, it’s still a bit unclear.

It had started to snow and Alan was coming by to pick me up, as he was driving. My parents thought I was nuts to be going out in the snow, but I was fool hardy and went, with just a sport coat and no overcoat or boots, out into the big world.

We went to Anita’s house and decided to stay as it was snowing pretty hard and Edgar had his cast. Later in the evening, having second thoughts, Alan decided to take Michael home and asked me to go with him as it was bad out and besides, Anita didn’t feel comfortable being left alone with Edgar, as her parents were out at business.

Alan and I drove to Michael’s house which was pretty far, dropped her off and returned to Anita’s neighbourhood. As we turned into the neighborhood, off of the main street, we were stopped by snow banks and couldn’t move. After an hour or two of pushing, shoveling etc., tired and weary, we walked the few remaining blocks back to Anita’s, having given up the possibility of moving the car. The snow was up to our knees!

When we retuned to the house, we were half dead and our friends thought we had died! They were glad to see us but were of course disappointed that we were stuck. Anita’s parents had called and were furious that she had boys at the house and that they were stuck miles away, unable to return as well. I called my parents, as did we all and they were concerned as well but understood that we couldn’t leave Edgar, nor could we get out.

Needless to say that in the 50’s, no orgy would take place, and the three boys slept in the living room while the two girls slept upstairs. Anita’s parents never did calm down and I, luckily, left the next morning with my girlfriend Toby, and walked to her house where I spent a wonderful week as the houseguest of her very nice parents who quite understood. Schools in Baltimore stayed closed for a week and it was Friday before my father could come and get me.

Eventually, Alan’s car was shoveled ou,t and Edgar was driven home. I had the time of my life and was deeply in love, as only a kid can be.

In 1977, about 20 years later, I was at a Christmas party with Anita and her family and she introduced me to her mother. When she heard who I was she became upset, and wanted to confront me for staying at their house when they weren’t home in the winter of 1959! I was a 35 year old father of three boys and was not interested in her rambling!

No comments:

Post a Comment