Friday, October 2, 2009

And I scarcely think I'll get another drink 'til I get to Buffalo


The stoty title is from an alternative chorus of "The Erie Canal" from two days ago.
The photo is the Buffalo International Airport.

Here I was back at it, driving to the Buffalo airport again. I had written about this in an earlier post in the summer, where I’d driven to Buffalo and back four times in one week and I was getting very tired! And here I was again, going to get my wife, who was coming home from New Jersey after visiting her parents.

To begin with, it seems that I’d go in and out of Toronto, a closer airport that doesn’t require toll roads and border crossings, but given the traffic and time involved, usually Buffalo is a better choice, and the fares are usually considerably less.

On Tuesday my wife was scheduled to arrive at 3:45p.m. and I try and leave two hours for the trip, given the crossing possibility of being stopped by a customs person for a longer time, or more likely, someone else being stopped and my being stopped behind them.

I left at 1:00p.m., as I had to get gas. The day was beautiful, the sky was clear and bright and the roads were pretty much empty on a Tuesday. I had with me my MP3 player transmitting through my radio the latest detective novel, my cell phone of course and my GPS set for the Buffalo Airport. This unbeatable combination only works if there is no reason to use the phone.


If there becomes a reason, I have to quickly turn off the MP3 player, grab the phone and hope the GPS doesn’t give me new directions I can’t hear, as without bifocals (which I hate and don’t have) I can’t see the screen enough to actually read it! As well, I can’t see the text screen if someone texts me, without my reading glasses, in a case on my car door, but if I get them I’d have to take off my regular glasses and it all happens at 65 mph!


This is a bad time not to be able to see!

First, I’ve checked the computer before I leave to see the bridge traffic. There are three possible bridges I can use, the first being the shortest, but usually the slowest. I checked at 12:45 and so much can change before I get there. Next, there is a sign on the road giving me an 800 number to check the bridges, but it comes late in the trip, and you have to call right away. So I had to yell out the number to myself, while I try and dial a phone I can hardly see and hope I have the right number (which I did). The first bridge, the Queenston /Lewiston is clear (a rare event) going into the US. There is a 25 minute backup coming into Canada so I know I can skip this one on my return.

As I continue, I have turned the MP3 back on after the call, my cell phone goes off and it’s a text for me and I can see it’s from my wife. I look at the screen and squint to see the message, which tells me something about a delay. Then another message and another and it must be important and I can’t see so I am not sure what to do.

I drive on to Duty Free, and park. I can use the bathroom there and not have to be hopping around at the border, but I can read the messages. I turn off the MP3 player (so I don’t lose my place) and shut down the car, get my reading glasses out and read the three messages. Yes, delys, but not bad, about 15 minutes etc.,. I text back:

“Great news etc., I am at the bridge, Ill be there early, no problem, I’ll listen to my book etc, don’t call me as I’m driving at 65 MPH and I will die!”

I go through the border easily, in just a minute, as I have a US passport so my ride is usually simple, and I keep going. In a bit, the phone goes off again and I scream. I know I can’t see, I’m getting GPS messages, I know it must be important and I don’t want to stop, but I must.

I go off the highway on the next available exit that’s not a freeway and find a street. I pass several cemeteries and finally find the caretakers street or something like that because who else would live on a street with four or five cemeteries?

I turn off everything again and look at the text which says “OK!”

OK? OK, she got the last word in and I really don’t care! I just want to go on. I text (of course) that I had to leave the highway just to read and this is it!


No more! I will contact you when I arrive in Buffalo! Which I did.

She was about a half an hour late, there were no surprises, and I got to sit for an hour with a cup of coffee and a muffin and watch the world go by. We had no problems going home and I did use the other bridge because of the potential wait.

A trip to the grocery, and general clean up and we made it to dinner.

My day had involved going to work, walking my dog twice, driving for four hours and having several vodka tonics and a few glasses of wine. I fell asleep sitting at the dinner table and slept there for two hours!

This is all too much for an old guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment