Friday, October 16, 2009

Rena meets Andy Warhol


Warhol image lifted from: http://www.listal.com/viewimage/534569
In the 70’s, Andy Warhol was traveling around promoting his book, the “Philosophy of Andy Warhol from A to B and Back Again”. He was to make an appearance at the Baltimore Museum of Art, and be signing books in their shop. My mother was a volunteer at the museum, and asked me if I’d like a signed copy to which I said, “Of course”.

She was not working the day he was to be there but asked a friend to get her a copy. When she went back to work, she picked up the book and appeared at my house the next day, somewhat perturbed. The book was initialed on the first page in marker, and did not have a full signature. This disturbed my mother but she reluctantly gave it to me and left.

A few moths later, my mother appeared again and asked me for the book, with no explanation. There was no way to refuse her, so I gave it to her so she could be off on whatever mission she desired.
She came back the next day all smiles. It seems that Andy and his publicist had appeared at Hutzler’s Department store for a book signing and she went down to confront Mr. Warhol and ask him to rectify this error in judgment. Her son, you see, was an important artist and taught at an important art school, and there was no way that she could feel right about giving him a book with just initials put inside and not a full signature. Besides, the least he could do was to draw a soup can inside the book for her so she could present it to her son.

So, like he had done many times before I now realize as I see auction sales on this item, he inscribed the book to me and added a Tomato Soup Can for good measure.

My mother was a formidable opponent and she was determined to get what she wanted,


and she did!

No comments:

Post a Comment