Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Art Teacher




I have made my life’s work in the visual arts. I have been lots of things, an artist, a teacher, a teacher of teachers and an administrator.

In my elementary school, in the day, there were no art teachers. All the teachers simply taught everything. I have no one standing out as my art teacher, just a lot of really great people (hindsight is 20/20).

In Junior High I had my first real art teacher, in the 7th and 8th grades. Here it must have made a difference, as my life, for many other reasons, turned toward visual arts. I will leave out the name of that teacher because the rest of the story gets a bit weird.

In the 70’s, I was attending some Maryland State Art teachers event, and as I was circulating, I saw my art teacher standing in the room. I walked over, put out my hand and said, Hi Mr. XXXXX, I’m Arthur Greenblatt, and I’m the Director of Student Teaching at the Maryland Institute. He shook my hand and smiled. As we were doing this I said, “I was in your class when I was in the 7th grade”. His hand froze, he looked deeply into my eyes and he said, “Go away from me, leave me alone and don’t talk to me”. He was deadly serious. I froze, looked at him, let go of his hand and walked away.

I don’t know what the trigger was. Was I too old to be his student? Was he too old? Was he jealous of my position? What would have triggered that response? I did know one thing, he was not kidding!

When I ever run onto any of my old students, I am always happy to see them. I can’t imagine what had happened that evening, nor will I ever forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment