Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I Love American Cheese


I love American cheese.

I know, if you’re an American it’s no big deal. If you’re a Canadian, it’s “What’s American cheese?” In this dichotomy, lies my dilemma.

In Canada, where I live, there is no American cheese!

OK, there is Velveeta, there are lots of processed cheese slices covered in plastic, but there is no deli cut, yellow or white, real American cheese. No Land O’ Lakes!

So, no big deal, live with it! We have every special English and French cheese, as well as any other made any place else, including really good Canadian cheese, but still no American.

The solution is one I live with, but is a bit over the top.

When one or both of us go to the US, we usually buy a pound of sliced American cheese, and as the one who loves it, I eat slices of American cheese every day (usually on bagels for breakfast) until I can’t look at it anymore. It can’t be frozen well, so that’s not an option. I don’t travel enough to make it a bi-weekly event, so I end up with feast or famine.

My dear wife, in being good to me, was in Detroit last weekend and brought me two pounds, a pound of each kind!

She also bought me two boxes of Sourdough Pretzels, also not available. Don’t get me started!

1 comment: