Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Computer Virus


I hate to be ripped off! I hate to fall victim to a scam! I hate to be fooled technologically!

I hate all this and it happened to me!

I know it’s not the “right” thing to do but I wanted a copy of Microsoft Word for my netbook and I didn’t want to pay for it. I have an older version but it’s on a CD and the netbook has no disk drive. I am probably going to get one but it seemed stupid at this point. So the answer was to get an illegal download of Microsoft Word.

I downloaded a torrent with the program on it, tested the file with my free virus protection software and moved it from my desktop at home to my netbook. I opened the file and all hell broke loose!

Virus party time occurred! Things started to happen and it was out of control. My Windows virus protection window opened and requested that I purchase a two year subscription to this service immediately! I was panicked (not a usual state for me) and I agreed. I continued on line and worked the program and paid about $75 US for the subscription. It cleaned up some of the mess, I thought, and I was sort of able to work.

In a day or so our ISP contacted me in all of my computers telling me we were helping a spam network and I needed to fix the computers or they were taking us off line! They wanted me to run the software cleanup from their website and fix the mess.

I ran the program on the other computers and it found a few pieces of spyware, about three on each. On the netbook it found 335 problems and worked on them. It instructed me to find and download another fix for a VIRUT program which I did. However, it never quite worked itself out. There was some residual junk in there and the new virus protection program which “looked” a lot like Microsoft didn’t ever get it fixed. I kept finding the same 14 problems and fixing them.

Yesterday I took the netbook into the computer repair place and he said, “You didn’t send them money, did you?” Now I know how to feel stupid!

This is a scam. Put a virus in your computer and a fake Microsoft looking fix comes up. I am sure tons of folks have fallen for this one, and I was not exempt.

I called the credit card company yesterday and have disputed the charge. It has not been paid yet, I believe, so they were happy to accept my complaint and told me this is not the first time this has happened. The company appears now to be in Poland, but they tell me they move around a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment