Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Hay Ride


I remember that it was Summer, 1956 or possibly 1957, but we had a hay ride. It was the SED Hay Ride (Sigma Eta Delta Fraternity) and it may have been a pledge class event, but I will need to check with some experts out there who were in attendance. It will be cleared up.

I have no idea if I had a date or if we didn’t take them, but there were boys and girls in attendance, and we went somewhere in the back of a hay wagon (or probably a truck filled with hay) and we went somewhere in Pennsylvania, I think. It was a big swimming hole, I believe, not an actual pool, but the costs included the ride and the swimming.

I remember being out for a very long day in the sun, and this would have been my first (and last) such event (in my life) and I had no idea about sun and time etc. Being fair skinned, perhaps six to eight hours in the sun would not have been a good idea.

I remember there was pizza involved at the end, probably back in Baltimore.

OK, so what’s the story? Why even tell it?

Because while I can’t remember if it was first or second or third degree burns I suffered, but I was in pain, both of my shoulders were completely scabbed over within a day or two, I was red over all my body, and I had to stay indoors, in the dark, for a week or two!

In the days before all the information we currently have about skin and sun, I learned things the hard way!

No comments:

Post a Comment