Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Let the grill begin!

After a number of years using our old grill, it needed new parts. I figured it would be about $100 for parts and I’d have a newly fixed up, old grill. So, let the games begin!

It’s the beginning of September and grills should all be on sale. I looked at Zellers and the grills were bad and the sales were worse, with very little off. I looked at Wal-Mart and the only two models were little and very big, but the very big one seemed cheap. I went to the local big grocery store and they had a great one for sale but I kept waiting for further reductions, and they sold out! I went to Home Depot and the $1,200 one was on sale for $1,099, not a sale by my standards.

I finally went to Canadian Tire and they should have had them all on sale but no way was that happening when I look, but they had one I liked on sale at 33% off, my kind of numbers. I was hoping for a 50% day, but beggars should not be choosy!

Canadian Tire charges $20 to put the grill together, so I was delighted! No problems with large boxes and little screws, just pay it and forget it. I checked and it was double that four or five years ago when I bought my last grill. I paid my money, used the Canadian Tire money on my card (for more discount) and went back yesterday to pick up my grill after work.

It came rolling out, big, black and beautiful! I was so happy! It was a winner!

The store personnel helped me get it to the car and then we were stopped cold!

I had just paid $20 to put it together, and here I was standing in the parking lot with two very nice employees, taking the grill apart! It didn’t fit in my Explorer!

I came home with my tail between my legs. I removed it from the car and rebuilt it in my driveway!

Editors’ note: I went to use the grill last night for the first time and could not get the igniter to ignite. After numerous tries, I realized the button was soft, or not there. I was considering the job of taking the grill apart, and bringing the whole thing back to Canadian Tire just to fix a little igniter!

I went into the house and found the English version of the directions, because since I didn’t put it together completely, there may have been something missed by my builders. Lo and behold, I have an electronic igniter (it makes little clicks like a newer gas oven does) and it requires a AA battery!

Ya’ think a builder person would give me a 30 cent battery or at least suggest I get one!


Editors not #2

I put out the old grill at 5:00 p.m. yesterday (the day before garbage day, the day the city suggests if you want to get rid of something) and it was gone (along with the free grill sign) by 6:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment