Sunday, September 6, 2009


In May I wrote:

My wife, whose name can not be mentioned in these pages, as my regular readers must know, has a thing about replacing bathroom items. Not soap and stuff, because of course we replace those, but toilet seats and shower curtains.

Now we have replaced more than our share of toilet seats, and I will not speak out about those because it’s a bit crazy. However, the shower curtain thing does relate to mould (the belief that there is mould everywhere) and rust on the little metal grommets that hold the curtain on. I know you mostly will think this is strange as well, but I decided to accept my fate and go with these things as they’re no big deal.

My wife was away on a trip and saw in the hotel the curved metal bars with fancy special curtains that give you a bigger feel in the shower. This means the shower feels larger, not you!

She wants me to order them, and I worked with the company and got a price and measurements to do this, and send it to Canada, but want to avoid it as much as possible because it means a bigger, pricier thing and more work for me installing this stuff. It will eventually be done, by me or my successor.

In the meantime, she decided we should get rid of our current shower curtain and liner because of rust (I never even noticed it, of course). She went out to the dollar store and happily replaced the two items for $2.00. You get what you pay for!

It is very pretty, in fact, with a lovely green liner showing through a white print curtain. It is made from 1 or 2 mill plastic, and if you turn on the shower you have to work on it not sticking to your body. Larger folks like me get claustrophobic taking a shower in there now.

I went out to the store and purchased a new , normal shower curtain and liner that are beautiful and go well with our décor. My wife admits this but we are now waiting until my sister-in-law and her husband and kids arrive in June to put it up.

My sister-in-law and her family don’t like our small quarters anyway, but do, I believe, like us. I like them. I recently told my sister-in-law that I love her. That’s another, way too complicated story that has no sexual tension, just nonsense.

However, my wife is concerned that we only have one tub/shower in our house. That’s the way God built it, I figured.

In my life I have had older homes with bigger bathrooms and more of them, but that was then and this is now. We have two half baths as well and we’ll just have to survive. There is no easy way to add a shower in a convenient place.

In one of my old homes, I had a shower in an odd place; it was originally divided into apartments so there was a downstairs bathroom shower in the living room. This was fine but if you took a shower you had to have your clothing with you as you had to go through the living room, the grand entrance hall and up an open staircase in order to get to the second floor and relative safety.

We lived in modern homes in Calgary with extra bathrooms and it was convenient. But now, alas, we will have to suffer through with just one shower/tub combination. With my oldest daughter (who can not be named) leaving for university in Montreal in the fall, there will even be less of a need for an extra shower.

My sister-in-law and her family will get the new shower curtain and will not even appreciate it unless she reads this, and we will probably have to get this new curved pole and special curtain eventually.

As I said, it will eventually be done by me, or my successor.

Now for the update. My Sister-in-Law came and went but no shower curtain. We spent a week in a hotel with a curved shower rod and it was OK, not a big deal, but it took a normal shower curtain so I liked it much better, but have said little or nothing about it as I like the current rod just fine.

However, on September 1, the new shower curtain went up! It is beautiful! The liner is thick and solid! The look is big and graphic! It slightly darkens your inside the shower view because of color and thickness but the whole thing is great. I will not bring up the shower curtain again. I will sit and wait….
editorial note: this is not our bathroom. we have a horizontal striped curtain which I've tried to illustrate, but this is not ours, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment