Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Late Night Phone Call #3

I was sleeping soundly, having returned home from a date.

The phone rang and it was my date, who lived just next door to me in an apartment house, calling and asking me to hurry over. Asking what was wrong, she told me she was very sick and throwing up badly and had no one else around to call.


She had gone downstairs and opened the outside door and left her door open and I could I rush right over.

Being a very nice guy, I had no choice. It was not the fantasy evening I had hoped for, the call in the middle of the night from the girl next door to rush right over, but it was still that call. Just some of the parts were wrong.

I arrived and found her ill and in bed. I helped her as best as I could (held her hair out of the way) and made some tea until she calmed down. We contemplated a hospital trip but she fell asleep and eventually I did too. In the morning she seemed a bit better and I went home and dressed and went to work.

It seemed that our dinner was fine, but she had eaten out with her sister earlier in the day and food poisoning was suspected.

I guess I became a hero for a bit, and we became closer having shared the experience. I did learn that it’s never good to be really alone. If something happens, we all really need someone to call.

“Who you gonna’ call, Ghostbusters?”

No comments:

Post a Comment