Friday, August 28, 2009

French to English

In 1984, I had just gotten off of a plane to London, and was making my way into town when we had to make a decision. The trip thus far had been planned far in advance and there were few decisions to make, but here was one. There were two buses we could take, one of them was the right one, and the buses were about to depart so, my friend and I had to quickly determine which bus to take.

A simple answer, of course, as we were at Heathrow, so there would be no trouble.

I was first out, so I ran, out of breath, up to the front of the queue, and asked as quickly as I could the question about which bus to take to get us to our destination.

The uniformed gentleman looked right at me, with a questioning
look in his eyes, and waited a minute, and said, “Où voulez-vous aller ?

I looked at him, and I paused, and I said, “I’m not speaking French”.

He said, “You’re not?”

I said, “No, I’m speaking English!”

He said, “Really?”

I said, “Yes!”

He said, “Well then, where do you want to go?”

We got on the right bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment