Thursday, August 20, 2009

The day has finally arrived...

I have not reached the end of my stories as yet, but I am off to Montreal for a few days, so I won’t be posting daily for a bit. My daughter, the older one, is off to McGill University as Music Major.

This is the fourth time I’ve done this. My oldest son was off to Oberlin College in Ohio, and my wife and I drove him there from Detroit. We were good through the drive and the parent orientation, but were both in tears when we left. He stayed a year, transferred to the University of Michigan, and was an hour away, not a bad deal for us.

My next son went directly to the University of Michigan, and started in the spring term, literally replacing his older brother in his room. My oldest son was obligated to pay through the year, so his brother filled in the spot. As he left (he had a ride) I waved goodbye at him. He was just around the corner, or so it seemed.

My next son went to the Kansas City Art Institute, the year before he went to the University of Michigan (I think there’s a pattern here) and I flew down there with him. I used to live there and was happy to go and see some friends and see him off. I cried as I arrived at the airport and went to the plane. Later, after he transferred, I was a regular visitor to the University.

Now I go farther than before, to drop off my oldest daughter; the little girl I loved and raised and cherished. I’m crying as I write this.

I am going to be a wreck!

No comments:

Post a Comment