Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Late Night Phone Call (#1)


I’ve had at least three “middle of the night” phone calls that have led to interesting stories. I will try and explain these over the next few days.

Since I believe all of the parties are alive and well, I may have to do something about “naming names”.

In 1984 I was living in a ground floor apartment in downtown Birmingham, Michigan, in a house destined to be torn down. It was replaced by three or four townhouses, but at the time, I was waiting for the end, and living well at a very reasonable rent.

I had gone to bed at about 10:30 p.m. on a “school night” and was sound asleep when my phone rang. I staggered to the phone, and there was a young woman on the other end of the phone, asking for help. (See, I didn’t use the name!)

It seems she had gone with a friend of mine to a local watering hole, and they had been there a while. It was now close to midnight. They both lived in Grosse Pointe, and it was a long way home and my friend was drunk. She was very concerned for her life (and his), and she wanted me to get dressed and come up to the bar and take them home.

I was thinking, (not with my brain), and of course agreed to do this immediately. I reluctantly dressed and went to the bar, a few minutes away. I wandered in and we had a scene, where my friend accused me of taking his date away from him. I was trying to give them both a ride home; I explained I was just trying to help, and that his wife wouldn’t appreciate his date anyway!

He let me know in no uncertain terms that he needed no ride, that I was just after the girl (OK, that may have been true) and that I was not his friend. He stayed at the bar, and I gave the young woman a ride home, and went back home myself and went to bed, very tired.

The next day I spoke with my friend who almost made it home.

He totaled his vehicle two blocks from his house!

No comments:

Post a Comment