Monday, January 24, 2011

The University Refund


My daughter and I received the following (slightly abbreviated) email:

McGill University
January 12, 2011

This is a notification that your monthly e-bill from Student Accounts is ready.
You have a credit balance of $0.61.

You can choose to leave the credit on your account and it will automatically be applied

towards future charges, e.g. the next semester's tuition and fees. Conversely, you may request

a refund of the credit balance by completing the electronic "Refund Request" form found on

the Student Accounts menu.

Thank You.
McGill University
Financial Services

Please do not respond to this e-mail. Contact information is provided above

should you have any questions. Please provide your McGill id in any correspondence with our office.



I went to her account and looked this up and I found:

NEW! Online refund request form!

In order to request a refund for the credit balance on your account, please complete the new online Refund Request form. The new form can be found on the Student menu ‐> Student Accounts menu ‐>Refund Request menu, or by copying and pasting the URL


I went to the URL and found:

This has moved to a new server. To reach us, please try our web site. For specific pages, substitute /mcgp/ by /pban1/ in your link text. If you reached this page by clicking a link on a McGill site, PDF, email, etc., please notify the ICS Service Desk in order to correct the link.


There is no way to understand or do what they have said. I have no recourse at this point, I guess I’ll just have to leave the credit on the account and it will automatically be applied towards future charges, e.g. the next semester's tuition and fees. I will lose the power and the interest on the $.61, but the school will be able to benefit from the donation I hope.

Maybe they will send me a tax receipt for the interest earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment