Wednesday, January 12, 2011

50th Birthday Party


It was February 15, 1992. We were at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Massachusetts. It was a subdued affair. A lovely dinner was had by all. Present were myself, my mother, my middle son Brian and my wife or at least those are the people pictured (except my wife who was taking photos.) My other two sons were present as well as my daughter-in-law and my new daughter, just six weeks old, was home with a baby sitter.

We figured it was our 158th birthday party. I was 50, my mother had just turned 80 and my son had just become 28. The cake indicates the years in the candles.

We wandered in top the restaurant, the table decorated for our party with balloons tied to the chairs and table top decorations. We had a great dinner

Outside the restaurant were about 100 people smoking, sitting in the crowded lobby, and it was like going through a battle field dense with smoke to arrive at our destination. A well known local hypnotist had a stop smoking seminar there that evening and these were people having their last cigarette before entering the hall.

Undaunted, we had an elegant birthday dinner.

Later, my sons and I played with my new Sega Genesis, the video console purchased by the boys for their Dad's 50th.

I went to bed and they were up for hours playing Sonic.

1 comment:

  1. Golden jubilees are always stupendous. It was my dad’s 50th birthday party and luckily, we all were together on a trip and got a chance to celebrate his birthday in one of the fantastic San Francisco venues. All the relatives got together because it was my grandparent’s anniversary last week but we managed to keep them all waiting for my dad’s birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete