Saturday, January 29, 2011

Greek Meatballs


I haven’t done a food post in a long time and I feel the need coming on. In my non-linear thinking, why not? It seems to be I just go with what I’m thinking, and fortunately or unfortunately, much of my life had worked that way.

These were fantastic last week. I served them with a Greek salad, orzo, small frozen spinach pies (Spanakopita) from the supermarket and pita on the side. It was a big hit around here.

I hope you appreciate the stories listed on the right side of this blog. They are the top five viewed stories since I started writing this in February, 2009. Give them a look if you have time.


Greek Meatballs

(Adapted from 2005’s South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook)

1 pound lean ground beef

½ small onion finely chopped

2 cloves garlic finely chopped or 2 tsp. garlic from a jar

½ cup finely crumbled feta cheese (measure crumbled)

1 large egg beaten

1 T extra virgin olive oil

1 T dried oregano

4 tsp. red wine vinegar

½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper

1 tsp. Greek seasoning (surprisingly available in the supermarket, I never knew it was there)

Preheat oven to 400.

I micro waved the onion for 30 seconds to remove the”bite” of using raw onion.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with your hands.

Place parchment paper on a large cookie sheet and form approximately 24 meatballs and place on sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes and turn, bake for another 10 minutes, turn again for another 1 to 10 minutes, until they are brown and cooked through.

They will look awful during the cooking process because the cheese and the vinegar oozes out during cooking and you need to get to that beautiful browned, caramelized state.

Serve with Tzatziki Sauce, easily available at all supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment