Friday, January 14, 2011

My 60th Birthday Party


For my 60th birthday party (I’m on a roll here), I had already moved to Ontario for a year, and knew some people. We decided to hold the party at the school, giving me unlimited space and no cost for the hall. We were able to invite many friends, neighbors and all of my Board to the party, and we ended up with 63 people. All three of my sons traveled north to be here as they had done at my 50th.


It was a really nice affair, with lots of food, speeches and some fun. I had been presented with a new Martin Guitar earlier in the day, given to me by my whole family, and there were a few songs and poems delivered. I even got to do a solo, no doubt inappropriate, with John Prine’s “Billy the Bum”.
My wife had arranged for a surprise for me. I saw a guy standing there that I didn’t recognize. I thought he was the husband of one of my Board members that I had yet to meet. He came over and talked to me for a while and then he pulled out a deck of cards and started to do tricks. He was really great and that’s when I realized my wife had arranged for a slight of hand magician to work the crowd.

He wandered through and everyone was impressed and amazed.Unfortunately I have no photos of the magician.



Next year I hope we get to a 70th party and I can continue on this theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment