Monday, January 3, 2011

The Mystery Family


This family photographic postcard fell out of a pile of photos. It surfaced in the early 80’s, but no one who would have known who these people were was left to tell the tale.


We believe the photo was taken in Russia. The writing on the back, from which we thought we could derive a clue, leaves us clueless. Several scholars (my mother’s words when she was alive and involved with this) have looked at it and could not make a determination as to what it says.

We assumed these were cousins of my maternal Grandparents, or so my mother seemed to believe, and these were her parent’s photographs


I believe, after several attempts were made, that the postcard is written in phonetic Russian (or even Lithuanian) but with Hebrew script characters, the same way Yiddish is written with Hebrew characters.

The only person capable of translating this would be someone who can speak both Hebrew and Russian. So far, I’ve not met anyone.

So. If you know these guys, drop me a line…….



1 comment:

  1. This is written in Yiddish can you send me a better scan of it? you can send it to my facebook page and i can help you

    ReplyDelete