Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rockin' In The Big Smoke


Three years ago my girls made arrangements (bought tickets at $35 each) to see Motion City Soundtrack, The Higher and two other bands (the names have escaped me but they were not their favorites, although the first two were) in Toronto at a venue called the Opera House. It’s in a somewhat disreputable part of the city. My wife and I had agreed to drive them (although I can’t imagine why). There was a major rain storm and it took 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there (and 45 minutes to get home ) and we left them standing in a line of younger people (bar age not high school age) and off we went.

We went out to dinner, toured the area a bit and returned to the neighborhood to wait. We decided to go to Starbucks and wait so we parked and walked. We met a group of drunks having a conversation, but didn't join them as we had no idea what they were saying. We continued walking and found Starbucks closed. My wife saw a donut shop back a ways and walked there, and it turned out to be inside a gas station. What a treat, coffee in the gas station, with a homeless guy in and out of the washroom. When hefinally left I had to use it, and when I was finished my wife had to use it as the women’s room seemed to be locked. We then hung out and shopped in the drug store and waited for the girls.


The girls stayed to buy t shirts and cd’s as we waited and watched everyone leave. We began to panic, but the girls eventually came out. They were talking with the lead singer of The Higher, who they love, and he told them he loves them because they bought t shirts and cd’s. The cd’s were only $5 with the t shirt so it was a good deal anyway. Motion City Soundtrack people were too high up to come out and sign cd’s for fans, I was told.

My little girls grow up (they were 13 and 16) and I was tired!

I had never heard of any of these groups before that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment