Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Nose Knows


My slightly stressed wife went out one afternoon with my daughter and Max, the Wonder Dog. They left the house and had gotten two blocks when she tripped on a piece of pavement which had moved up into the atmosphere, and fell.

Having once broken her wrist in a bad skating accident, she remembered to save her arms, and fell straight onto her face. Her glasses hit the pavement and jammed into her nose, cutting it in several places, but not breaking it.

We stopped the bleeding and went to the hospital. The triage nurse and the doctor both had to investigate to see if I had beaten her. They had me leave the room so they could question her alone. I expected it, of course, as the world has changed, and there were posted signs all around the emergency room about abuse.

I passed all the tests, and there were several opportunities for them to ask her about my abuse. Instead of arresting, me they repaired her nose and sent her home.

Stitches and some black eyes were the result, and my neighbor has ordered a new lens for her glasses.

We went out for mid-east carry dinner to celebrate the completion of her ordeal.

Life is sure tough these days.

The offending pavement has finally been replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment