Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Hunter Gatherer Spirit


In November of 2002 I wrote, "I went to Old Navy at lunchtime on Wednesday to see what might be on sale. I hit it at the right time as they had Clearance on sale at 65% off regular prices, or at least that was what the sign said. I asked an Old Navy employee about it and I was told, no, it’s really 30 or 35% off the last price, or off the last price it was even if the price had not been changed. I figured I’d find out when I went to check out what the prices were.


As a shopper, I am a bottom feeder by training. I’m not happy until they pay me to take it away. On the down side, I buy dumb stuff sometimes because it’s so cheap.

I tried on lots of stuff, and took four things to the register.

The lady in front of me had a few ladies tops, striped, in a few choices and they came up $1.39 on the register. When I saw the second one come up that number, I asked if I was seeing right. Yes, I was told, they were $1.99 less 30%. So, I got out of line and went over and bought five of them. Three of one color (black and red), all in a ladies large, a medium light green, waffle weave one with jewels and a black and tan in an extra large. The ladies large’s fit my 7 and 10 year old daughters just fine. The extra large fit my wife, who was no extra large.

My bill, with nine items, and 15% Canadian taxes, was $53. In US dollars (at that time) this was about 12 cents or so.

I went back yesterday but the $1.39 items were gone and I needed some things for the girls (head bands for ears) and they were very cheap in some colors, but full price in others. The register was the only way I could tell. I did buy another shirt while I was there, and it was 69% off.

Retail is fun for the consumer, I think."

No comments:

Post a Comment