Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Renovation Blues


During our building renovations, we made the decision to get out of the building. This required a big move for our offices, and about half of our classes, because we could only find enough space to move some, and it all is borrowed or rented, so it fell to classes that would have enough students to at least break even.


My life has become a holy hell, but also great fun. This is a giant puzzle, which includes getting rid of massive amounts of collected junk, and I have been told, good stuff we’re throwing out! How much am I willing to spend to save stuff I will throw out in a few months anyway? Unfortunately, people think everything is valuable! Too much Antiques Roadshow!

There are a million stories revolving around this little fiasco, and all of them are rich in humor.

Last Friday night just before midnight, ADT called waking me out of a sound sleep. It seems a motion detector had gone off in our building, and they had called the building construction manager to tell him at 7:30 p.m., and he had been out to view the building. But now, the same alarm had gone off seven more times so they thought they’d wake me to tell me. I told them to turn off their bubble machine and leave me alone, I wasn’t budging.

Saturday was quiet, and no one called. The next call came at 9:00 Sunday morning, telling me the alarm had gone off and the police were on their way. I had to go down and meet the police; however, they were met by a number of volunteers and told nothing was wrong. I arrived after they were gone.

They called me again at 3:00 p.m. and I told them I once again refused to go down and meet police and told them to turn us off until further notice.

The cause of the nonsense ( as seen by one of our employees) was a squirrel that had gotten around the vinyl barrier enclosing the outside walls torn down to make way for the elevator. I can not turn it on again until the building is secure.

I am moving out on Tuesday and security can go to hell! I have nothing left to steal!



No comments:

Post a Comment