Monday, November 1, 2010

Childhood Memories....


Because I have no photo to include here, let me put in his favorite car from high school. I was there when he came home in spring of 1958 and found it out in front of the house! We both were excited, Mike more than me, because it was his!

In June of 2001 I wrote to my sons, “When I was in the 4th grade, a new kid moved to town and into my school. His name was Mike Mund. He was a little guy who never grew to be much more than 5’6” I think, and he was my best friend for most of my early years, at least through 10th or 11th grade. We graduated from the same high school and were in the same high school fraternity. There are many stories on this blog involving Mike, and so many more I will never have the opportunity to tell.

He went to Antioch College, and I only saw him once in a great while, as his parents had moved from Forest Park to University Blvd. near Johns Hopkins University. He stopped by (the last time I saw him) to invite us to his wedding, but we didn’t attend as Mom was pregnant with our third and it was a very far ride we didn’t want to make. I hadn’t seen him much for a few years before that, as he was living in Europe or someplace exotic. His wife went on that show about the waitresses in a hotel in Los Angeles (It’s a Living, 1980); she was one of those waitresses, Barry Youngfellow.

In 1976 or so I ran into a mutual friend who told me Mike had changed his name, gone to law school, become a lawyer and worked for Melvin Belli in San Francisco and was moving to Hawaii,

This week, with the Internet, I found him! We’ve had a few great interchanges, and it’s great to find old friends. I know all this has to do with all of my old friends turning 60 soon. I know when all of them turn, as we’ve all discussed it. He did change his name (his middle name was Youngfellow which was a secret that only his parents and I knew) and Youngfellow was now was his last name. He was an attorney, having left the theater. (He was a really good child actor, which was when I saw him perform.) He did work for Melvin Belli ( a legal folk hero sort ) and had moved to Hawaii. The “rest of the story” is one of a great practice, than some addiction problems, redemption, resurrection, a return to the world with the help of AA, several marriages, retirement to bicycle through Europe and continuing retirement for 6 more years. He now sells real estate in Mammoth Falls, CA and lives in a cabin with his dog. He is a skier and snowboarder.

I love this story! It’s really interesting to find out what happens. I can’t imagine who will pop up next!”

Over the past few years I had been in touch with my old “best friend” from elementary school.

I tried when I learned he had moved to Hawaii, and I couldn’t find him. He had changed his last name to Youngfellow some years before. Finally, a few years ago, he surfaced as a realtor in Mammoth, California. He was a ski lover, and this was his place.

We were in touch, and he explained his life story to me, and was now selling real estate and was very happy. He sent me a photo at the time which I unfortunately lost due to computer changes.

Later, he took a trip to Thailand, and loved it! He framed his return ticket, and bought a condo, I saw the photos of his place and it was beautiful. He talked about his marriage and was delighted in his new life.

Here are some pieces of a blog commentary on marriage, pieces of the September, 2006 minutes of an Ex Pats Club in Thailand and pieces of the October, 2006 minutes

October 20th, 2004 at 10:44 am Michael Youngfellow

Hysterical! Been there, done that! I was married about 6 months ago, in a Thai ceremony, and . . . it happened as you describe. It was my fourth! and definitely the BEST marriage I’ve ever had!! i just went along for the incredible ride. I definitely prefer not understanding a word or a thing that’s going on!!! I did understand that this beautiful, magnificent woman was actually hooking up with me, for life. And a few days later, after a short honeymoon, we went off to the amphur and signed on the dotted line. I’ll send you a link to my Yahoo!Photos Wedding Album

September 23 2006

Chiang Mai Expat Club – overwhelming attendance

Chiangmai Mail Reporters

On Saturday, September 10, 2005 the first official Chiang Mai Expat Club (CEC) meetings was held at the Art Caf้ and the response from the community was more than the driving force of the club ever had expected. Over 40 attendees showed up, and president Jim Cox gave a talk on the advantages of having this comparing it to the parent, Pattaya Expat Club and their experiences. He then introduced the board which comprises of Jim Cox acting president and board members Lucy Coombs, acting club secretary, Charles Boling, Thomas Matty, Alex Bomerato, Michael Youngfellow and not present David Mark.

One of the suggestions was to get involved with the Thai community in order to ‘give something back’. Michael Youngfellow then suggested there could be smaller special interest groups within the club such as a computer group, a reading group, a discussion group, a poetry group, a ladies group, a golf group or even a motorcycle

October 23, 2006ol. V No. 41 - Saturday October 7, - October 13, 2006

Jim became more somber as he read a letter from a friend of a former board member, Michael Youngfellow, who died in a bicycle accident 2 weeks ago. He asked for a moment of silent respect.

Via email to me this evening...

Dear Expats Club Members,

It is with regret that I, as CEC president, inform you that Michael Youngfellow, a founding member of the Chiangmai Expats Club, was tragically killed on Saturday, September 9, at approximately 7:30 a.m., in a roadway accident while riding his bicycle in Chiangmai. Without going into details (due to an ongoing investigation) I can tell you that while he and a cycling companion were riding their bicycles near Superhighway, Michael sustained fatal injuries after being struck by a fast-moving vehicle.

Khun Nai, Michael’s wife, is currently unavailable to share information about pending religious services (cremation ceremony) which at this time is scheduled for sometime on Tuesday

I contacted his wife and sent my condolences and a bunch of childhood memories. She was very nice and returned a lovely letter of thanks.







.

No comments:

Post a Comment