Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pissing in the Wind, as usual


This was a letter sent to my kid's elementary school principal and the Chairman of the School Council (PTA) seven years ago. It did no good, as usual, but it doesn't stop me from trying.


February 19, 2003


I know that I only have second hand information, but since this issue is going to go to a larger school community, I might as well chime in.

The idea, as I understand it, is a “treat free” school. This would imply a Halloween candy free school, a Valentine candy free school and probably a school fair devoid of the substances considered “harmful” by those espousing the righteous position of politically correct and currently up to date nutritionists. Gradually, the so-called “do gooders” of our world are taking over, by force, the process of some sort of majority opinion. If you are at a meeting, and are devoted to a cause, and loud enough, it seems you slowly lose those who cared at all and eventually you can hold all the cards.

So, my vote is for free choice. In a non-life threatening (immediately threatening as opposed to over many years this may not be good for you) situation, I will vote for cokes or doughnuts or candy bars. My non-healthy life style is my choice, and I have the right to choose a life style for my growing children. Until a product is made illegal by our elected government, it is not a bad thing to use.

I have understandably gone along with peanut free stuff in my own school, because it seems a correct stance. I still have a coke machine and a candy machine and use them myself, and derive a small income from both of these. I have never felt bad about either decision. I refuse to allow those well-meaning souls who spout the current line about health to ruin my day. This does not mean that I am not educated or understanding, it just means that I’ll do it my way.

Let us not lose the fun part of school attendance. Taking away some of the little things from the kids will not improve anyone’s view of the school. You will not change the behavior of the families because you choose to make a health decision for them. The slippery slope created will go from candy to packaged lunches like Lunchables, and maybe we can move on to nitrite laden products like bacon, bologna etc. Where will these “hawkers of the new health” stop.

Please make a stand. Let us as parents make our own decisions on how our children eat. Let us continue the enjoyment of our school (I know it’s not all wrapped up in candies) and let those who preach continue to do so from their own pulpits and not through the public schools.

Thank for listening,

Arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment