Monday, October 4, 2010

Max goes to the dentist


Max needed dental care. If you regularly read this blog, you know Max is our Cairn Terrier, and the ruler of the roost. This was preventive surgery, as nothing was wrong but with some gum recession, it could go wrong. Rather then wait for the problem to happen, we went for it, of course.

We love (and better still Max loves) the vet. We hope everyone has that kind of a relationship with their vet, and we trust him completely. Therefore, if he says we need it, we need it. Still, I ask you to review this bill. I know it’s all highly specialized and I couldn’t do it but I would never have ventured a guess at this one! My dentist, who I know could not and would not do it, would simply charge less to do this for me.

Years ago, a vet friend of mine rented his operating facility to a friend with a heart surgeon friend, to operate on this guy’s dog. He had agreed to do the dog’s needed heart surgery for free, so all he needed was the proper place as the hospital wouldn’t let him operate on a dog.

The place rented, they proceeded with the operation one evening with the vet’s cautionary tales about this being a big dog (a great dane as I remember) and not a human. The dog died on the table, of course.

All this being said, you can see the bill here. Did I need the money, of course? Did I have a better place for the money, no? Max comes first always, but still, $650.62 to remove two teeth from a small dog, my God!

I am sure the prices are proper, and it all seems fine. My expectations were just different than my reality, but that seems to be my life story, doesn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment