Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Give me an H, give me an A.......



(She's on the right in the top row)

My youngest daughter does not like me to discuss her in these pages, but this one was just too good to miss!


She is part of the Junior Ti-Cat Cheerleaders. This is a group of girls who work on the field at Hamilton Ti-Cat games along side of the “real” Hamilton Ti-Cat Cheerleaders. They are all dancers, and participate. The junior ones consist of some older girls like my daughter and her friends, and a large group of kids starting from the very little ones. They are part of a dance class devoted to being a cheerleader.

For my non-Canadian readers, the Hamilton Ti-Cats are a professional CFL football team. My daughter, who is shy by nature, dances in front of 23,000+ people per game and is in the group that appears on national TV, etc,. It’s the real deal!

Last Friday night, in an important game against Montreal, the cheerleaders had a Halloween night. Their cheerleading uniforms had already been turned in for the season, but the group had to dress like witches. They were required to wear black and gold costumes. There were several hundred kids there that night as every dance studio in the area participated on the field at half time. The Ti-Cat juniors were different in their witch’s costumes, as were the other groups uniquely dressed.

After the game which was a hoot and we won 40-3, the girls had to meet us. We texted each other and we chose a corner to meet. People poured out of the stadium, in the old neighborhood, a nice but sort of fringe area of Hamilton, and it took us a while to catch up with them, with tons of patrons out on the streets.

My daughter and her girl friend were waiting, dressed in black witches short skirts, with black tops, stage makeup and leather jackets.

My daughter said to me that she wished they still had their cheer costumes, because dressed like they were, standing on this questionable corner, with tons of inebriated guys pouring out, they were perceived as prostitutes!

She than looked at me and told me, as she is happy to do, that I looked like a Hobo! (She never likes my style!).

I told her it beat looking like a Ho!

1 comment:

  1. i love your sense of humor and whimsy, Arthur!

    ReplyDelete