Friday, October 15, 2010

The Interview #4


I did several New York interviews over the years and they stand out as particularly interesting. First, I get to go to New York which is fun to do and secondly, it always is more upscale.


On one occasion, I met with the head hunter in an office along with one person from the college. This was a pre-interview, mind you, a free trip to New York to meet to see if I was capable of sustaining the “real “ interview. By the way, I was.

In the same case I met with the search committee at the school during my second visit. I was interviewed by many groups in an all day event. It was grueling, and I was tired. The President, at the end of the day, knowing I was very tired and had expended much energy provided me with a subway token so I could make my way back to the hotel.

Not to be one upped by the institution or the President, I took the token, thanked him and also took the Presidents secretary with me. We had a lovely evening together.

In another New York case, I was called and it was arranged that I would fly out in a few weeks. I checked the air fares and discovered one that cost $345 to get from Calgary, AB to NYC and return. Two weeks later they called and cancelled. A week or so later they called and asked me to come on the original date and I had to get a ticket in a week. It cost $2,450 for the same flight! They, of course, were paying.

They called me again to come out in a few weeks and I did and was interviewed by most of the same people again.

In both of these New York positions, I don’t think I ever got the offer, as they haven’t called back yet! One would think that after they spend all that money and all your time, and theirs, that they would at least call and say thanks but no thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment