Monday, October 18, 2010

The Interview #5 (Dress for Limited Success)

this is much better than I really had
I went off for the big interview with lots of confidence, much vigor and a sword hanging over my head. My house had been sold and I was living in a very nice house, rented from November to a maximum of May, on a month to month basis. If I didn’t find work soon, I’d be forced to move again! My wife was pregnant, and the doctor said that after 32 weeks she was not going anywhere. My position was critical so I planned to do the best thing I could think of and went on vacation!
What the hell, you only live once!

If we had to stay we would figure something out. Much of our belongings were stored at a friend’s house and we had enough to live on in our temporary location. The temporary location was fantastic in Gloucester, MA with a nice view on the ocean. We didn’t want to leave, but had no choice.

As the time approached, I had a call asking me to come and visit. This was a great opportunity and it seemed to be destined. I’ll go into that later, in another story. However, I’ll stick to the interview.

We decided that my wife and daughter would fly to Miami, I would meet them there and we’d drive to the various places we were planning to visit; Fort Lauderdale and Naples. I would go first and we’d hook up later.

As I packed for this all important interview, I was very careful to plan my wardrobe. I needed interview clothes as well as clothes for Florida, not exactly a match.

I had gone shopping and purchased a new, white button-down interview shirt (does not show sweat as much) and a new, blue button-down for other social activities or another interview breakfast, etc. I carefully laid these two new shirts on the bed as I was packing making sure there would be room. I had a suit, a sport coat, some dress pants as well as my usual khakis and jeans as well as bathing suits etc. Dress shoes, boat shoes and sneakers were also included. I took two or three ties with me just in case I decided to need more than one or spill something on it. I was very well packed!

When I reached my final destination, Calgary, AB, I was able to unpack and relax. It was not until I needed to get dressed for my first meeting that I realized my beautiful new shirts were still sitting on my bed at home and I had no way in this downtown hotel of finding new shirts at this late date. I called home to double check and my wife had wondered why I didn’t take them with me.

I looked through my assembled collection and I had two button-down dress shirts with me. One was a black and white striped one, (a riverboat gambler type striped one) and one was ecru, and unknown color that is best described as off white or tan. It is the not quite yellow one. I had to make a decision. I asked my wife to pack the other two and bring them as I’d use them in Florida and maybe someone there needed to interview someone.

I went to my first meeting, a dinner with the Board Chairman. I wore my sport coat and the ecru shirt. I explained the situation to him and he laughed, of course, because it was funny. The next morning I appeared in a striped suit with my gambler striped shirt and a print tie and it looked a bit weird but it was a great story to tell the search committee.

In the end it didn’t matter of course because I got the job. It was my Dress For Limited Success story.

I took a cab to the airport dressed in a suit with the ecru shirt and a tie, flew to Toronto and changed planes for Miami. Some million miles and many hours later, on a December day, in an overcoat, a suit and a tie I ended up walking out on the tarmac in 85 degree weather. Sweating, I waited for my wife, and while waiting I realized I was the funniest looking person in the airport because people were staring and pointing at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment