Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Interview #3


And then there was the time I was interviewed for a job as Dean of Fine Arts at a large University. I was treated very well and spent some time in the interview process.


Unbeknownst to me, one of my sessional faculty members was at the University at the same time interviewing for an arts job.

One of my “stories’, given as an answer to one of the never ending questions asked by the search committee, was not believed to be true. I know this is amazing, but perhaps someone didn’t believe me. I find that hard to believe, but my stories do get a bit fanciful, albeit true. However, with this faculty member on campus already, they decided to break all protocol and ask him about the validity of my story. He corroborated it, and told me so I had the information.

In the end, I was not hired. The Vice President Academic called me, I am happy to report, and apologized to me about my not being hired. This stands out in my mind, as apologies are not usually offered.

It seemed that in the end, the committee was in favor of my candidacy but the President of the University overruled the committee, in order to hire an internal candidate. Everyone would have been better off if in the beginning, if we all understood the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment