Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tokyo Train


I was hoping to take the bullet train from Niigata to Tokyo, but it did not run at that time. I was hoping to take the bullet train anywhere, just to experience the rush of the 100 mph train, but it did not happen.


However, I was going to be on the train from Tokyo to Narita, the airport, and all I needed was a ticket. The “people in charge of me” knew better than to send me off into the wilds of Japan without a way to maneuver. I was not able to read or speak the language, and I was a guest, so they felt the need to handle me.

People put me on the train at Niigata after long goodbyes, and I was met at Tokyo and put on the train to Narita. All this happened fairly smoothly. The greeter was told, I am guessing, to look for a very large, scared American who looked lost and that was me!

The man in charge was concerned that I get a first class ticket and was unable to purchase one himself for some unknown reason (at that time). He apologized and gave me money. I had no idea how much he gave me but it was enough to pay for this first class seat, given no bullet train. He apologized for the money, which didn’t offend me at all. He said the conductor would give me a ticket, I’d just pay him. Then, at the last minute, he ran back to the train to tell me there was no first class seating on this train and he was very sorry. I would have to sit on a regular seat for and hour plus, something I do all the time. But, I assured him that was fine and I was very happy in the situation.

The train took off and I waved goodbye to my temporary host and we were off to Narita.

The conductor came by in about twenty minutes and asked, I guess, for my ticket. I handed him the money the guy had handed me. He looked at me, he looked at the money, he asked a question and I couldn’t answer. He realized I was an idiot, and laughed, as did I, and he reached into his bag and worked around a bit and gave me what looked like four or five hundred dollars change! Now it wasn’t really that much, but it was substantial. It ended up being about $75 US, the difference between the first class and the coach fares. I was amused, felt quite wealthy and had to deal with the moral dilemma, do I tell my hosts and send them back the money?

Having thought about it for the last 17 years or so, I don't think I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment